Wiki CPC-A with intern experience looking for a coding position

Best answers
I need some advice from current coders.

I passed the CPC exam last summer and just finished my internship as a E/M auditor for three month.
Now I am looking for any position that I can start my new career as a coder.

I have been searching for a coding position but I haven't found any place accepting a coder who doesn't have work experience.

I live in New York City. I guess it makes things more difficult because there are enough coders already.

1.Could you give me any advice what can be the best way for me to get into the field as a coder successfully?

2. If I start to work as a biller, it can be helpful for me to be a coder later?
or billing experience is not considered as a experience a coder?

Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Definitely keep looking for coding positions, but also start looking at entry level HIM, non coding jobs. Something to get your foot in the door, gain daily experience with ICD 9 and CPT and move up.

I started out doing billing, then charge entry, physician coding, outpatient facility and then inpatient facility. Every position I had, built on previous experience, and I took my new knowledge to each new job. I have found it very beneficial.

Billing is a very important part of coding, you will have first hand experience seeing incorrect claims and will need coding knowledge to correct them.

Cordelia, DRG Auditor, CCS, CPC