Wiki CPC-A Newbie: Following All the Tips, Yet Still Facing Job Search Roadblocks

blandy

New
Best answers
Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out to share my experience and get some insights from the community. I recently earned my CPC-A certification, and like many new coders, I’m finding it incredibly challenging to secure a job in medical coding without direct experience.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, and there's a reason for it—it's a significant hurdle that many of us face. I’ve followed the common advice to seek other roles in the revenue cycle (such as front desk, medical receptionist, patient access, prior authorization, medical billing, etc.) to get my foot in the door. However, I’m running into the same roadblock—these positions also require direct experience, and my applications are being rejected.

I’ve had my resume professionally revised to emphasize my medical coding skills and transferable skills. I’m currently in the field of mental health and am making a career transition to medical coding. My resume even includes some coding and billing experience, yet I’m still struggling to break into the field. I’ve joined my local AAPC chapter, participated in Facebook groups, and updated my LinkedIn to network with professionals in the field. Unfortunately, despite these efforts, I’m still facing the same issue of not being able to break into the field.

What other strategies or advice do you have for someone in my situation?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Did you go through a community college to get your certification? That’s what I did and my advisor helped me get my foot in the door. Usually when places are hiring for entry level coders they will reach out to their old advisors to recommend people that have recently received their certification. Good luck!

Did you go through a community college to get your certification? That’s what I did and my advisor helped me get my foot in the door. Usually when places are hiring for entry level coders they will reach out to their old advisors to recommend people that have recently received their certification. Good luck!
No, I didn't go to a community college.

Try looking at the "other side" of coding which would be looking at insurance companies, work comp companies, and possibly medical record or HIM companies. Healthcare data analytics companies or possibly contractors that do risk adjustment audits. I also saw a suggestion recently about the VA (USA jobs). https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?jt=Medical Records Technician (Medical Coder)&p=1
https://www.cotiviti.com/ https://careers-cotiviti.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchRelation=keyword_all&searchCategory=28238

Try looking at the "other side" of coding which would be looking at insurance companies, work comp companies, and possibly medical record or HIM companies. Healthcare data analytics companies or possibly contractors that do risk adjustment audits. I also saw a suggestion recently about the VA (USA jobs). https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?jt=Medical Records Technician (Medical Coder)&p=1
https://www.cotiviti.com/ https://careers-cotiviti.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchRelation=keyword_all&searchCategory=28238
Thank you. I've applied through most of those sites. I'll check USA jobs again.

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out to share my experience and get some insights from the community. I recently earned my CPC-A certification, and like many new coders, I’m finding it incredibly challenging to secure a job in medical coding without direct experience.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, and there's a reason for it—it's a significant hurdle that many of us face. I’ve followed the common advice to seek other roles in the revenue cycle (such as front desk, medical receptionist, patient access, prior authorization, medical billing, etc.) to get my foot in the door. However, I’m running into the same roadblock—these positions also require direct experience, and my applications are being rejected.

I’ve had my resume professionally revised to emphasize my medical coding skills and transferable skills. I’m currently in the field of mental health and am making a career transition to medical coding. My resume even includes some coding and billing experience, yet I’m still struggling to break into the field. I’ve joined my local AAPC chapter, participated in Facebook groups, and updated my LinkedIn to network with professionals in the field. Unfortunately, despite these efforts, I’m still facing the same issue of not being able to break into the field.

What other strategies or advice do you have for someone in my situation?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.
I am also going through same situation , i am a medical graduate i have vast exposure (around 10+years) but not from US they don't even want to give me entry level position , being good at all other topics is not fetching me a job , please help out to show me what more i should do to fetch a job?

Try looking at the "other side" of coding which would be looking at insurance companies, work comp companies, and possibly medical record or HIM companies. Healthcare data analytics companies or possibly contractors that do risk adjustment audits. I also saw a suggestion recently about the VA (USA jobs).
This is 100% great advice and what I was going to recommend. I have always worked on the "other side" for commercial health insurance companies. There are a lot of insurance companies that will hire remote workers for their call center & claims examiner positions and these 2 departments are often the foot in the door people need to get a job here on the "other side". I started out as a customer service rep here at my current employer 9 years ago, and I've worked my way through many departments because companies prefer to fill open positions from within the company.

I am having the same problems finding a job or even getting an interview. I have followed all of the above advice including applying to VA jobs through USA jobs and have had my resume professionally written and revised. As far as USA jobs go, even with the advantage of being a Veteran, I have not received one single bit of interest after more than 15 applications with them. Overall, I have applied to more than 250 jobs since being certified at the end of last December. Entry level jobs that I am completely qualified for do not respond. This is a real problem and should be shared with people more readily before investing in programs to get certified.