Wiki Cpc-a - my Associates

tlindo1

New
Best answers
I was wondering if having a CPC-A qualifies as any type of experience? Also, I have been in school for my Associates in HIT and wonder if that also may qualify as experience in the job force?

There's nothing like real job experience to qualify for 'experience'. However, you have education and your certification, which is often a job requirement. If you're looking for work experience, I suggest that you not focus entirely on finding a coding job. Look at all positions related to healthcare revenue, and learn the entire revenue cycle from patient registration through accounts receivable. If you get your foot in the door, you are more likely to be in line for a coding position (if you find that's what you really want to do), than if you were on the outside looking in.

Actually, it's very difficult to get a coding position with no experience, that's why I recommend you find a job that can at least get you started. I hire CPC-As quite often, and train them to code, but for every job I post, I get 50 applicants. It's a tough market, so you sometimes have to think outside the box when you're looking for that first job. Good luck.

I was finally able to secure a coding position a few months ago after searching 7 months for ANY position in healthcare. Last summer I received my AAS in Coding & Billing and passed the CPC (which I actually sat for and passed before I finished school). Even though I had no experience, when calculating my starting salary, my manager "credited" me with one year of experience since I had the schooling and had my certification. It is so hard to get into this field in any manner. I am so grateful they gave me opportunity and some days am still surprised they chose me. But I work hard every day to learn as much as I can and prove myself.

I am in the same boat you are... I don't think a CPC-A is enough experience on its own to get a coding job right out of the gate. I have been applying for both coding jobs and general jobs in a medical office/at a hospital in hopes I can get in the system and make a lateral move into coding down the road. I haven't heard anything from the coding positions I've applied for and have now shifted toward getting a job anywhere in a medical office setting, proving my worth there and hoping someone lets me train with them in the coding office down the road. Good luck!