Wiki CPC-A looking for externship opportunity remotely

Best answers
I received my CPC-A in august. Looking to get some more experience. I currently work full-time and need to continue working but would like to do some coding outside of working hours. Work in the Interventional Cardiology Dept. and is very familiar with procedures

Expectations

Hello CPC-A,

I have been in the coding business for a good 15 years and my experience has been that you NEED to prove yourself to an employer before they trust you to work remotely. You typically would need to work 2-5 years in office, hospital etc as CPC before you can work remotely.

Remote coding is a quiet and lonely undertaking and with daily record quotas to meet and no other coders to ask questions to or resolve coding issues with you will be on probation in no time with your remote employer.

The coding world is evolving rapidly from the one i came into 15 years ago, but working remote for your apprenticeship is a big no-no.

PS Should you happen to score a "under the table", "off the books" kind of arrangement with some doctor who just needs some help filing insurance,good for you. Just please don't write in to your fellow CPC-As and give them hope that this is a viable option, because for most of them, it won't be. Good Luck to you.