Wiki Cpb

clhead

Best answers
Hello All,

I am scheduled to take my CPB exam in April of 2016, does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions. Please all helpful suggestions are welcomed.

Hello All,

I am scheduled to take my CPB exam in April of 2016, does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions. Please all helpful suggestions are welcomed.

I just took CPB in December and passed the first time but I have almost 20 years experience. I am great at studying but awful at tests due to nerves. The CPB exam is 200 questions. You can miss 40 questions at the most to get 70% passing grade. If timing is your issue then break test into sections and time frame allotted for each section. 5 hrs and 40 minutes = 340 minutes. Do the easy questions first. Then go back over test -question by question -on the ones that needed more time. On the ICD & CPT books affix your section tabs for easy access to each section. Make notes in the related book like notes for Diagnosis in the ICD book and Procedures in the CPT & HCPCS books. Notes about the Carriers & Laws can be written in front of HCPCS. That's what I did.
I set up mock exams at home using Chapter quizzes & Sample Exam in back of Study Guide book... I wrote answers on separate paper so I could keep doing it. These mock exams give you 190 questions-14 chapters w/ 10 questions and 50 on Sample Exam. Then set a timer for 340 minutes and just keep doing this until you get it down well under 340 minutes with a passing score of 70% or 133 correct.
I passed the first time. Not by much but I passed. You know the old saying" What do they call a Dr. that passed his board exam by 1 point.... Doctor. Same as the one that got 100%
Good luck on your test. I hope this helps.

a couple of tips

You can write in the books so the questions that come from the list (i.e. the answer A. is I, II B is I, III, IV C is IV and V etc) I tend to work those out by circling the right answers in the test booklet. A lot easier than doing it in your head.

The last 50 or questions are case studies. They take the most time and require you to dig through your code books the most. If you want you can start with them.

I would also recommend studying the general knowledge stuff more intensively than the coding. The coding is open book, but the difference between Stark II and Anti-Kickback are not in any of those books.

Hope this helps

Hello All,

Hi clhead,

I am schedule to take my CPB retake in April. I took it on December but I didn't passed. The time was not enough for me. I left the 50 case analysis questions for the end, and that part take the most time and require you to dig through your code books and go back and forth to analyze the forms, etc....Now I ordered the CPB study guide that is recommended as great tool to pass...I am waiting for it, was in back order...also i have 3 practice exams that I bought with AAPC...Do you have enough material to study? let me know if you have any questions....