Wiki Covid Sequencing

kyannekis

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I have a few scenarios that I would like some help with sequencing of dx codes

1 -If a patient comes in and is dx with Sepsis with COVID would the following sequence be correct? A4189 then U071?

2 - If patient presents and is symptomatic with fever, cough and the test results are unknown, does the Z20828 go first or last in the sequencing?

3- If patient presents with symptoms with no dx of COVID would the Z20828 only be applied if the provider documents contact with/exposure? otherwise only the symptoms are coded.

I appreciate any guidance that can be provided.

Hello, I have a few scenarios that I would like some help with sequencing of dx codes

1 -If a patient comes in and is dx with Sepsis with COVID would the following sequence be correct? A4189 then U071?

2 - If patient presents and is symptomatic with fever, cough and the test results are unknown, does the Z20828 go first or last in the sequencing?

3- If patient presents with symptoms with no dx of COVID would the Z20828 only be applied if the provider documents contact with/exposure? otherwise only the symptoms are coded.

I appreciate any guidance that can be provided.

1. U07.1 always has to be primary
2. You do not have to list fever, cough etc as those are included in the Z20.828 so you can just list this code and that is all.
3. If no symptoms of COVID Z30.828 is the code to bill.

Hope this helps.