Wiki Covid Collection Site

tangerinebed999

Contributor
Best answers
Our office is starting a Covid drive thru testing site. We will be collecting the samples and sending them to the lab for testing. No testing will be done onsite. I cannot find clear indication what is the appropriate E/M code that could be used. I used a similar service a few months ago. I drove in. They took my temperature. Asked me few questions as to why I needed the testing. Took the sample and I left. The site billed my insurance a 99203- which the insurance paid. Not sure this is/was appropriate. Tried to find some sort of information on what the appropriate E/M code for billing would be no that our own office is starting to provide this same service.

1) That other company was wrong to bill 99203 which requires all 3 of detailed history, detailed exam and low medical decision making OR 30 minutes of face to face time with >50% in counseling/coordination of care. I can't imagine either scenario took place while you were in your car.
2) Whether you are performing the services drive up in your parking lot, or the patient walks into your office, the coding would be the same. It is an in-person visit. Base it on the hx, exam & MDM. The AMA advice has been if the decision to have the testing was already made, then just 99211 for the collection. Some carriers may also allow 99000 for handling of specimen (I think this is like the 99072 - the 99000 code is there, but good luck getting paid.)