Wiki COVID cleaning supply charge

GretchenC123

Networker
Best answers
When did the CPT code 99072 end for billing purposes? I assume it ended on May 11th but I am not sure. I have seen clinics charging for it and some that don't.

When did the CPT code 99072 end for billing purposes? I assume it ended on May 11th but I am not sure. I have seen clinics charging for it and some that don't.

I'm inclined to agree with you since "when performed during a Public Health Emergency, as defined by law" is part of the official definition of the code.

The PHE is over. Some provisions of the PHE have been extended for a transition period, but I don't see anything indicating that 99072 has been extended.

That being said, I haven't found affirmative confirmation that coverage of 99072 has ended. I'm only going by the official definition of the code, because I couldn't find any other guidance either way.

That's what I thought. It is interesting that most bill audits I have done recently have no billing for 99072 after 2021. Perhaps most clinics were not getting reimbursed for it. I don't know. Honestly, it is silly to me considering that cleaning a room in between patients should be done regardless of the PHE or not.