Wiki Courtesy Visits - Are they allowed??

AKAJBART

Networker
Best answers
What are your thoughts on Courtesy visits? Is this even legal? Not billing for employee visits, certain family members, and sometimes friends. With the Employee's, they (Doctor and COO) want the charges billed if the employee has insurance, if not..... then they bill and write it off immediately. I've asked them for a policy in writing on 'their' rules numerous times, and have received nothing. This is utilized as a 'Perk', since health insurance isn't offered.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or supportive documentation stating that this is completely ok and legal, or that it's just screaming fraud?
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kristi

What are your thoughts on Courtesy visits? Is this even legal? Not billing for employee visits, certain family members, and sometimes friends. With the Employee's, they (Doctor and COO) want the charges billed if the employee has insurance, if not..... then they bill and write it off immediately. I've asked them for a policy in writing on 'their' rules numerous times, and have received nothing. This is utilized as a 'Perk', since health insurance isn't offered.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or supportive documentation stating that this is completely ok and legal, or that it's just screaming fraud?
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kristi
Did you ever receive feedback on your question? I have a practice that offers a courtesy visit "if" the patient requests it, regardless of whether they have insurance coverage or not.

Did you ever receive feedback on your question? I have a practice that offers a courtesy visit "if" the patient requests it, regardless of whether they have insurance coverage or not.
For Medicare patients, offering free services is definitely not compliant as it’s considered giving the patient a potentially illegal inducement. The OIG has issued guidance specifically addressing this.