Wiki Counting HPI

apowers

Best answers
I hope someone can help me. After many years of coding I have a nagging question in my mind concerning the counting of the location, duration, severity, etc in the HPI.

When I was studying, I thought I read that no matter how many Complaints each complaint had it's own HPI. You could add these together to get the number of HPI. An example would be:
1) complaint: Low back, pain= 2 HPI,
2) complaint: rt arm, rash,2 days =3 HPI
Total for this patient would be: 5 HPI.

Then I went to work for a company and was told that each complaint had its own HPI and that you don't add these together that if one of the complaints didn't have a total of 4 elements (location, duration, etc.) that could be counted then you wouldn't have a 99203 for a new patient since you need all 3 (HPI, Exam and MDM) for this code. If all three complaints, singly, only had 3 bullets you could add them together to get 9 HPI! Now that the EMA (EMR's) have begun to surface, I notice that the programs add the bullets of HPI together and sometimes with 2 complaints there will be a total of 8 bullets.

SOOOOO now my question is which is right:
1) add all the bullets from every complaint together to get a total HPI
2) are each complaint individual and the bullets can not be added together to get 4+ for the higher level of HPI.

Any responses, as soon as possible, is much appreciated, Thanks for your help. :confused:

The way I have been trained and the way it has been done in each company I have worked for (which has been only 3) and the way I current train the providers with their dication is:

The HPI requires at least 4 elements in order to meet comprehensive. The elements are as follows:

Location (no matter how many locations it only equals as 1)
Quality
Severity
Timing
Duration
Context
Modifying Factor
Assosicate Signs and symptoms (no matter how many signs and symptoms it only equals as 1 element)

I follow the E&M work sheet that our local medicare carrier offers. Hope this helps.

Danielle