Wiki Correct coding for "E" codes

amottice

Networker
Best answers
I am discrepancy with another coder regarding coding "e" codes for OB patients. According to this person E codes should never be applied to OB codes. For example if a pregnant pt falls or is in a car accident. I would normally code this with there is no other documentation available via the physician, with 648.93 followed by the appropriate E code attached. According to ICD-9 guidelines, we should use the 600 series in coding pregnancy and if applicable any other pertinent codes to that. Can someone please confirm my coding. Thank you!

If the patient has sustained an injurt pregnant or not then you should append the E-codes. You are correct that the pregnancy is the 648.93 with the injury code secondary and then the E-code. This does not change for ICD-10 CM.

e Codes

Thank you so much for your reply, but will the insurance company delay in payment due to that "E" code. According to a colleague they are stating that hospitals only use the "e" codes for their billing and if we use the "e" codes our claims will be denied due to more information needed from the patient. So with that they are stating that we shouldn't be using any "e" codes for billing at all.

The E codes is not what will hold up payment, the liablility for the payment of the claim is the question, your e-codes do assist the payer with identifying third part liability or crime victim, or no other party liability. If it is third party , they some carriers will want more info from the patient. This was going to happen with or without the external cause codes. I have found the presence of the external cause codes helps my injury claims run through the system is a more swift and efficient manner.