Wiki Cooper Thomas and 1099 employment

mschaller

Best answers
Has anyone worked with Cooper Thomas LLC and can you provide me any insight on the company. I have interviewed for a part-time remote position and want to make sure I'm not being scammed in anyway. They say they are new to coding and have a contract with the VA Hospitals.

I was also wondering if any one has any experience working as a 1099 employee. Makes me nervous. Anyone have any advise on this?

Thanks!!!

I also interviewed with this company a few days ago, I am looking for details too.

Cooper Thomas

I have experience as a 1099 employee. A very important factor to consider is you are responsible for paying estimated tax payments to the federal government and your state government, assuming your state has income tax. This must be factored in when negotiating your pay rate. I am a little rusty, but I believe the current Social Security tax alone is 15.3%, and then you need to add in all the other components included in your normal tax rate.

Another factor to consider is since you are not a standard employee, you will not be eligible for benefits, etc.

Patricia Murrin, CPC, RCC

Thanks for the information, I am nervous about the taxes, simply because I don't know how or where to pay these but I guess I'll have to do some research. I don't have to worry about benefits because it's a part-time position.

I got some more information on the position today and I have to have my fingerprints done at the VA Hospital so I'm pretty sure they're legit at least.

It sounds like a good gig, so hopefully it will go well!