Wiki control of pelvic bleeding

trarut

True Blue
Best answers
Help!! Our surgeon was called in to assist with control of pelvic bleeding for a patient with DIC undergoing hysterectomy for a ruptured uterus. At the time he scrubbed in, the hysterectomy was complete. A massive blood transfusion was underway at the time. He scrubbed out as soon as the bleeding was under control.

I'm not sure how to code this since I can't find a separate code. I'm thinking of billing the hysterectomy code + 62 for an assistant surgeon + 52 modifier with documentation to show he assisted with only that portion of the surgery.

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Tracy

62?

Was the doc from your group? -62 is if doc is from different specialty. I don't think you can code for 'being available' incase something went wrong. I had a similar case today...I may be wrong. I'll look for someone else to weigh in.
Jocelyn

The other surgeon belongs to another surgical group in town and made it clear in her note that she was consulting with my doc to join the case. My doc wasn't on standby; he was just lucky enough to get the call they needed help :) He's a Gyn Onc so he's usually the primary surgeon and doesn't do a lot with or as an assistant surgeon. It just leaves me very confused on how to code it appropriately since it's an odd circumstance for us.

How did your doctor control the bleeding? Was there a vein/artery that was ligated that could be coded? Or packing the vagina with hemostatic agents?