Wiki control of hemostatis cpt code?

Best answers
Pt had surgery earlier in the day, had continuous bleeding, pressure was applied for 40 minutes and then was taken back to operating room.

Procedure is described as follows: Staples were removed, area was flushed, no bleeders could be identified. Surgicel was used with direct pressure...bleeding was minimal, this was followed by hemostatic powder. Bleeding continued to be reduced..patient remained in OR until bleeding completely under control.

I cannot find any code that would work? Or I have no idea where to even look. Help?

We would need to know what part of the foot, in order to try and find a Code. and in this case the Correct Modifier would be -78 (Unplanned return to the OR). -22 Is used to show that extra work or unusual circumstances happened During the procedure, and backed up by a op-note stating why the Porcedure was unusual. Maybe try Intergumentary Section of the CPT??

Last edited:
I am new to this I was just wondering if you could not find a proper billable procedure for the return to the OR on the same day instead of billing a seperate procedure with the 78 would it be ok to just bill the original procedure with that 22 modifier?

22 is for use when the procedure is more complex. This scenario the procedure when as planned. I would use the exploratory code with the 78 modifier.