Wiki contrast in 77002 and 77003

MollyBK62

New
Best answers
Hi,
I am wondering if other pain coders are billing contrast q9965, q9966 or q9967 with procedures such as intrathecal pump implants or spine neurostimulators and if they see reimbursement? I realize that it is included in all spinal injections but I wonder if anyone has any information about the contrast in other injections?

Thanks for any help.
Molly

Is the injection of contrast material included in injections codes 64479, Injection, anesthetic agent and/or steroid, transforaminal epidural; cervical or thoracic, single level, to 64484, Injection, anesthetic agent and/or steroid, transforaminal epidural; lumbar or sacral, each additional level (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)or is it separately reported?

Answer

Although not specifically stated in the descriptor nomenclature, injection of contrast material is considered an inclusive component of codes 64479 – 64484.

Although this is all I could find I thought I had seen where the AMA relayed that when they state that injection of contrast is included. They are not recommending the Q code for contrast material itself is bundled, but the performance of injection of contrast is bundled.