Wiki Contract work- steady?

Best answers
I have been offered a coding position from home paid by chart no benifits will train me. Does anyone here know if I can expect contract work to be a steady source of work. Could I easily be terminated if I do not make quota quickly and fail audits. I'm CPC-A and would be giving up an VERY good nursing job to make transition

If I may give a few words. I did medical transcription for 10 years. It ended up being a fading field. A year or so ago I was in a spot where I was working and getting paid "per line" and there was hardly ever any work. some days were awesome, other days, i think i made more in my first job as a teenager. Anyway, that's why i got into coding. I'm almost a year in and have just accepted another position with a different company locally to keep moving onward and upward. I do keep a part-time transcription job as well, where i am an independent contractor getting paid per line, but the work is great and busy OR very scarce. I always hesitate from now on with that type of job. If you do decide, I hope you always have more than you can handle! :)

Can you do both? I have two jobs, my full time job and the other as a freelance translator. As bnockis mentioned, with these contract/freelance jobs you will probably have feast or famine; when it's good it's really great, but when it's low it's really hard to eek by on a low income that month. I use my freelance income as a bonus check that month and cannot rely on that cash flow on a regular basis.

I would be hesitant to give up your full time benefited nursing job, over a contract non-benefited job with a non guaranteed paycheck; unless you need to cut back on your work hours, which a contract/freelance job might just be the right fit.

If doing both jobs is an option, nursing full time and contract coding per diem/part time, then you might be in the best of both worlds. You get to keep your steady nursing job, but is still getting coding exposure and another income.

Best of luck!

To answer to part if your question, in any production environment you could get let go for not making quota and failing audits.