Wiki Consults and commercial carriers

LLovett

Best answers
Today has been a blue cross blue shield nightmare day. I have had 3 outpatient consults come back to me from them stating they will cover a new patient visit but not a consult.

These really are consults. All the requirements are met. I am at a loss. The patients of course want us to rebill, but how can we when it is correct as is?

Is anyone aware of commercial carriers stopping payment on consults already? I figure they will if CMS does but that hasn't happened yet. These are not HMO plans, just straight BC/BS of Michigan.

Thanks

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Very interesting...

I hadn't seen this before, but I have never really had an issue with BC/BS until today. At least not one I was aware of.

Thanks

Laura, CPC, CEMC

I just left employment of a major insurance carrier (and came back to the physician side) and I can tell you that it is my belief that this will become an even bigger issue in the future. BCBS has been sued and Humana has been sued, both of them with settlements that required that they honor CPT guidelines. Who would have thought that it even had to be said to do so. Good luck.

Wendi, CPC