Wiki Consulted to give advice during surgery

Rgreen0118

Best answers
Not sure how to code this, as I have never run across this situation. Another doctor was doing surgery on a patient and requested my physician to merely come in (he was scrubbed in of course) and just "peek" at the ovary and tubes to give the another doctor advise on an issue regarding fertility. Not sure why they did it this way.....

Not truly an E&M.....anyone have this happen before?

Thanks,
Rhonda

surgery consult

The surgeons that I code for do this sometimes and there is not really a way to bill for it. It doesn't meet the requirements for an E&M and he did not do any surgical work . I think this is just considered a "professional courtesy" that the surgeons extend to each other.

I would think that if the "peeking" physician followed up with a written opinion, he could bill based on time. The pt does not need to be able to communicate with the physician if the physician states why the pt was unable to "consciously" or physically participate in the E&M visit. May even be able to bill as an assist surgeon as long as the primary surgeon dictates why or how the assist surgeon was used. Think of it this way. Does your Dr incur a liability because of his "advise" to the surgeon? If so, then he should also be compensated for his time and professional opinion. Just my thoughts! I'm sure there are those who would disagree, but I see that disagreement as healthy. Because we all value from all opinions: pro or con.

I agree with you Ray. I would certainly urge my Dr. to make some transcription as to his time spent "peeking" at the other physician's patient. It at least deserves a chance...

99499 Unlisted E/M

99499 Unlisted E/M would cover this. Base your charge on the amount of time it took to "peek" and how complicated the situation was. Perhaps on a par with a level 1 or 2 consultation.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC