Wiki Consult to eval for coumadin use

SDIGANGI

New
Best answers
MY PHYSICIAN WAS CONSULTED TO SEE A PT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:

"Prior to institution of Coumadin it was requested to
rule out a possible source of anemia and as well as GI blood loss."

THE PT IS HAVING NO SYMPTOMS BUT DUE TO A HISTORY OF ANEMIA THE CARDIOLOGIST WANTS TO MAKE SURE THERE IS NO ULCERS THAT COULD CAUSE A BLEEDING PROBLEM ONCE THE PATIENT STARTS COUMADIN.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT DIAGNOSIS CODE TO USE FOR THIS SCENARIO?

Anemia is valid for the proceedure, however I'd suggest avoiding the usage of Anemia, unspecified 285.9 specifically for Medicare for which this diagnosis code is not payable. With the documentation from the patients reffering physician your physician should be able to indicate a more specific form aof anemia such as Anemia , Fe Deficient: 280.9 or with blood loss 280.0. Of course if there are othe findings during the proceedure your primary code would be the highest level finding with the anemia becoming a mute point as most payors don't look beyond the primary diagnosis.

I'd be curious to know the appropriate code for this visit as well. I'm coding one now where the patient is anemic with a-fib so I have those two codes, but the reason is for clearance to start coumadin therapy. What would be the appropriate code for the clearance? Best I can come up with is the v82.89 or v82.9, special screening.