Wiki consult coding question

TLC

Guru
Best answers
A patient came into the office to see one of our OBGYN's she was actually on the sched for two of the doctors and one time. They both saw her for the same problem however the second doctor counseled her on an upcoming "sling" procedure. Can they both put thru a E/M visit for her. Or what is the best way for this to be coded. Also I don't believe the secondary doctor has any notes the first doctor documented all the notes?? Thanks sorry if confusing.

This is easy... if the second doctor didn't do any notes, there is nothing to bill for. If it's not documented, it wasn't done.

If both doctors are of the same specialty, in the same group practice, AND both have documentation; I would suggest combining the 2 visits and billing one code under one NPI. Only one doctor will be reimbursed but at least the practice will be reimbursed for all of the work.
I don't know who the payer is for this patient, but the CMS Claims Processing Manual states: same group practice, same specialty are viewed as if they were the same physician.

HTH

Now it gets more complicated. If the first provider had specifically requested (in writing) an opinion from the second doctor, then possibly the second doctor could bill for a consult. If that didn't happen, and I'm assuming it didn't, then I don't see how two office visits can be billed by two doctors of the same specialty that work for the same group practice.

EDIT: I agree with the kdeterman above. I had not seen his comment when I posted my reply.