Wiki Considered global?

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
Hi all - I have a question about global charges...

I code for a Hospitalist group and also for an ENT group, all under the same tax ID. The Hospitalist saw an inpatient with a facial cellulitis on day one. The hospitalsis requested the ENT for a consult. On day 2, the ENT did a consult and decided to to an I&D with a global of 10 days. The culture came back with MRSA. Infectious Disease was also following the patient. The Hospitalists followed the patient in hospital for day 3, 4 and discharged home on day 5. The Hospitalists are billing for Admit, 3 days of subsequent visits and a discharge. When our charge poster tried to enter the Hospital Charges, she says they are coming up as global. Would the visits by the Hospitalist be considered global to the procedure performed by the ENT??? Can I bill for the hospital visits? Or do I need a modifier?

Thanks for the help!!

To me, only the visits by the ENT would be considered global because of specialty. Because of that I believe your hospitalists can bill for their follow up days, etc and I see no reason for a modifier.

Thanks for the reply - I wasn't sure. I know they are different specialties, but the dx is the same as the procedure dx. The Hospitalists were following the patient for the cellulitis and MRSA - the only dx. It makes sense to me that the Hospitalists and the ENT are different, and the pt was admitted to the hospital for the cellulitis - just hoping this is the way the insurance looks at it!

Thanks again,

Jodi Dibble, CPC