Wiki Congestive Heart Failure and Diastolic Dysfunction

Best answers
We have been coding Diastolic Dysfunction as I51.9 - Heart disease, unspecified. However, a question has come up regarding coding this as I50.9, Heart failure, unspecified.” If the MD only documents Diastolic Dysfunction and doesn't specifically state heart failure should we code I50.9 Heart failure, unspecified or I51.9 Heart disease, unspecified. The American Heart Association defines "Heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF), also called systolic failure: The left ventricle loses its ability to contract normally. The heart can't pump with enough force to push enough blood into circulation.Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF), also called diastolic failure (or diastolic dysfunction): The left ventricle loses its ability to relax normally (because the muscle has become stiff). The heart can't properly fill with blood during the resting period between each beat."
There has been a lot of questions surrounding this and I want to make sure I'm coding correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: