Wiki confusion on hip arthroplasties

scooter1

Expert
Best answers
I get really confused about total hip arthroplasty, and I hope someone can help me
understand.

In a revision . . . if the doctor replaced the acetabulum and the femoral head (not the
femoral stem), is that 27134 or 27137 ?

Also, when they do the arthroplasties, one doctor will say he replaced the cup, head and
stem.
Another doctor will say he replace the shell, head and stem.
When they say cup or shell, does that mean they replace the acetabulum ?

These situations have constantly confused me and I would like to know once and for all
that I have been coding these correctly. I would appreciate any responses to help
clarify this for me.

I get really confused about total hip arthroplasty, and I hope someone can help me
understand.

In a revision . . . if the doctor replaced the acetabulum and the femoral head (not the
femoral stem), is that 27134 or 27137 ?

Also, when they do the arthroplasties, one doctor will say he replaced the cup, head and
stem.
Another doctor will say he replace the shell, head and stem.
When they say cup or shell, does that mean they replace the acetabulum ?

These situations have constantly confused me and I would like to know once and for all
that I have been coding these correctly. I would appreciate any responses to help
clarify this for me.

my doc's call it the acetabular "liner" - I have heard them called cup, shell - they are all acetabular components.

For your example I would probably bill 27134 with a 52 mod on it , he still revised both components but the femoral component was reduced in work since he did not have to replace stem.