Wiki Confused????

LOVE2CODE

Expert
Best answers
Per one of my Pediatricians ---at the recent AAP conference it was said that Pediatricians can code for and be reimbursed for doing post-partum depression screens on recently delivered mothers in the office practice What is the code we should use and what is the compensation?

Does anyone have any info on this??????

E/M

You code the appropriate E/M level based on documentation. The patient is the MOM (not the baby).

Bear in mind that you will need a separate patient chart!

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Per one of my Pediatricians ---at the recent AAP conference it was said that Pediatricians can code for and be reimbursed for doing post-partum depression screens on recently delivered mothers in the office practice What is the code we should use and what is the compensation?

Does anyone have any info on this??????

Post partum depression screenings are performed by the OB/Gyn at postpartum visits and are generally considered part of the global postpartum care. Are you going to treat the mom if the screen is abnormal? I think you will be fighting insurance companies to try to get paid for this type of service in a Pediatric office. Even for OB/Gyns, separate payment is difficult to obtain in while the patient is in the global postpartum period.

The pediatrician can submit all they want for this. If the POS is not correct they will not be paid. If it's still inside the global it's won't be paid either. I think most commercial carriers now put anything associated to a birth into a 24 MONTH global. You may want to address those 2 issues before you even bother.

Last edited: