Wiki Concern

some possibilities

They are posted in the wrong forum.

The question is too vague.

The question has been answered numerous times before.

No one with the specific expertise to respond is available.

Tessa, as usual you nailed the answer. I have an infusion example posted and it MAY be in the wrong forum, the question is NOT too vague, and it MAY have been answered numerous times before (I just can't wrap my head around it) and PERHAPS no one with the specific exertise is availabe to respond. I was just reading thru the forums now, saw this poster's question and had to followup when I saw your reply! I may have to repost mine again...Suzanne

Also, it seems that when a more senior coder answers a question, there is a lot of criticism of the response, even when the source it sited. I believe a lot of more senior coders are frustrated with the disrespect. Tessa has very good points as well!!

Amen, Tessa and Machelle!

I can say that I am very frustrated when reading some of these questions. Where is the drive to learn? Why do we expect things to be handed to us? One of my favorite things to do is research. I love trying to find answers, it boggles my mind how lazy some people are.

I look at the forum as a last resort, when you exhaust all your other options (including searching on the forum itself) then you post the question.

Just my opinion and my reasons for not being quick to answer posts these days. I could say a lot more but I need to get off my soap box and get back to work.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I totally agree Laura. I do consulting and I do a ton of research some times, as well as networking with people I've met at conferences and online. Its a great way to learn and I literally learn something new just about every day!!!

Laura and Machelle are right on. Somtimes I can't believe the questions that get asked when with a little research (you can even google alot of these questions) people could find the answers. Alot of a coder's job is reaserch. I teach a medical billing class at a local community college and one of the things I'm always telling my students is; "you don't have to know all the answers, but you do have to know where you can find them."

As Machelle also said, it seems like there is alot of criticism when questions are answered. I've found that most of it is because the responder has not really read the question or the answer. While I used to enjoy the forums, I find I don't really look at them much any more.

Doreen Clark, CPC

I agree with everything stated and I would like to add one more... some questions appear/read like or it is known for sure that they are straight off of an exam like a pre employment or ones they send out for remote coders to take. I personally will not answer those since I am not the one applying for the job!

What I like

What I do like about the networking and being able to ask questions is that everyone seems so willing to help. Yes, if an answer doesn't get answered it might just be a busy week. I have been trying to check in every morning to see if there is anything new but there are times I go a week without opening the forum. I am sure this happens to everyone.

I also agree with what was mentioned before regarding telling students about learning to look things up. I tell my students something similar. Coding is a job in which you never stop learning. You will often not know the answer but if you know how to find it then you are going to do just fine.

These are all great answers and everyone has pretty much filled in the blanks. There are times when I've cautiously answered some posts, but always hope someone more experienced will jump in to validate or correct. And research IS the name of the game. Personally, I respect the coders in here who undoubtedly have busy schedules, but who will take the time to answer and advise. I value their time and refuse to submit questions until I've done the homework and the research. And since I've asked a lot of questions, there's been a lot of late night hours and weekend hunts! ---Suzanne