Wiki Computer-based coding programs

LadyAg

Best answers
Hello,

I am new to coding, still a CPC-A. To sit for the exams you MUST use the AMA CPT books. Even being new, I can see how this is coding in the dark ages! Can anyone tell me what online or CD based CPT coding assistants are available?

There must be something easier to read, better organized, etc. that the AMA listing of CPT codes with their brief info provided??

It seems like someone would have created a Q&A type system that allows you to make sure you are taking everything into consideration??

Is there a computer based system that allows you to add your own notes?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Sherry Hutchins, CPC-A, CPMA

Hey Sherry,

You are right that coding from books is like coding in the dark ages. There are electronic versions of the ICD-9-CM and CPT coding books both on line and as a stand-alone computer program.

We use CodEx at my clinic, which is one of those stand-alone computer programs. We don’t have books because it would cost us too much to have all those books for all our coders. CodEx allows us to share the program across all our workstations while paying one annual registration fee.

Yep… It’s not free…

In fact, you’re not going to find CPT coding for free anywhere. The AMA keeps CPT coding information under lock and key and doesn’t allow that information to be given out for free unlike ICD-9-CM which the WHO doesn’t mind sharing for free.

There is a web site that you can register for that will allow you to search for both ICD-9 and CPT codes. It’s: http://www.findacode.com/ and is probably the best place that I can think of to find both sets of codes as the search feature is really easy to use.

Thank you!!

Thanks so much for your response! I will check out their website just to see what all the program will do. I will also look at the "findacode" link.

There is a big knowledge gap (as in any field!) between learning everything the "official" way required to pass exams and the "real" way it's actually done in the field! AAPC never has any articles about the tools used by real coders, I would imagine because they don't want to give away any advertising $.

Thanks again- it really helps!

:)