Wiki Compensation/Salary for Ambulatory Surgery Coders

dkaz1

Best answers
Hi All:

I'm curious to those who might be in a management position with input regarding the coding functions performed by a ambulatory surgery coder and the upcoming ICD10 PCS coding to become effective Oct. 1 2015.

I am required now to be competent in ICD10, CPT and PCS coding to perform ambulatory surgery coding. This is not a bad thing, just another set of rules/guidelines to learn and use when coding PCS.

I'm wondering though, since a ambulatory surgery coder needs to be accurate and fluent in three separate types of coding to be successful with their work, that wouldn't additional compensation or a salary increase would be in order?

I see that alot of employers are desperately trying to attract Inpatient Coders and that Inpatient Coders have had to be educated and trained for ICD10 and PCS coding, yet they do not need to assign CPT codes--only Outpatient coders need to do that. The salaries being offered for experienced Inpatient Coders are at an all time high. HIM departments seem to show a higher value to their Inpatient Coders opposed to the rest of their coders as Inpatient Coders bring the "big" money in. Doesn't anyone realize that the surgical procedures performed on a patient who may be inpatient at this time could be performed in the future but the patient would be considered an ambulatory surgery patient.

Does anyone have input or advice regarding this topic?

Thanks in advance for replying--

Deb K.