Wiki Commonly Used/Billed Ortho Codes

jsweeney23

Contributor
Best answers
I'm looking for the top 10 most common billed outpatient Ortho procedure codes so I am able to research global periods. I'm trying to figure out how long we need to wait before we perform/bill for a "related" procedure to ensure the patient is outside of the global. Any help is great. :eek:

This is actually not such a simple question, but here goes.......

Do you have the Ingenix/Optum Coding companions for Ortho (They are labled Orthopaedics-Upper; Spine and Above, and Orthopaedics-Lower; Hips and below)? Under Medicare Edits there is a lable FUD (follow-up days). This will be 0, 10 or 90.
Some global periods very by payer but this is typically Medicaid, and it's with the closed fracture care w/out reduction. (For my area some are only 45 days instead of 90).
If so look up your CPT code and look in the third column, you'll see something labled I'm not sure I understand what you mean "wait to bill things out"? You will bill when the provider performed the second procedure, It's your modifiers that will tell the story. If a second procedure is done during the global period and it was planned this would be modifier 58.
There's not really a list of top 10 I or any other Orthopedic Coder could give you, because we don't know work with your surgeons. Example, my first practice did Ortho trauma, but no spine or skull. We even had hand surgeons and joint replacements.
My current practice specailizes in spine, but does no trauma, but we have another surgeon who specializes in arthoscopic shoulder and knee surgery. Then you've also got your office fx care codes (this could vary widley if you see pediatric patients/higher incidence of limb fx), and your various types of injections, i.e. large, intermediate, or small jt injections, as well as TPI.
I think my simple answer to this not so simple question, is check out your modifiers on the inside of your CPT book and read the descriptions in Appendix A, in the blue section in front of the green section at the back of the book.

Thanks for your feedback. :p

I'm familiar with the modifiers but if they don't fit the patient scenario, then our Docs are deciding to wait out the global period before treating the patient. Our (wound care) Docs are getting patients that are being referred from ortho, so I guess I was just looking for common procedures that are done under the ortho docs so we know why we keep finding so many patients in a global period.

Thanks for your feedback. :p

I'm familiar with the modifiers but if they don't fit the patient scenario, then our Docs are deciding to wait out the global period before treating the patient. Our (wound care) Docs are getting patients that are being referred from ortho, so I guess I was just looking for common procedures that are done under the ortho docs so we know why we keep finding so many patients in a global period.

Most Ortho codes like Fx, surgeries and other major procedures have 90 days global. Minor procedures like debridements, injections and so on wil have 10 days global.

I don't really understand what problems are you having with your billing. There are modifiers to use during the global period, which will allow the claim to be paid. Can you bring some examples? I worked for ortho practice where we had a lot of Diabetic wound care, and I don't recall any issues with billing related to global period.