Wiki Comma's role in the CPT book definitions

NOTAQUITTER

Networker
Best answers
Hello everybody,

I have a quesion about the commas that are placed between the words in a definition of a code in CPT books, to set my point more clearly, here is an example of a code;

20526 Injection, therapeutic, carpal tunnel

My question is, if we want to choose this code for a procedure; SHOULD it NECESSARILY be injection AND therapeutic in nature AND it should involve carpal tunnel? In other words, when commas appear between the phrases and words in a description of a code, does it means that all those phrases should be included in the process that have been done by a physician?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
For this example, its for therapeutic reasons and not diagnostic, its an injection of some sort (examples [FONT=&quot]local anesthetic, corticosteroid) and of the carpel tunnel area (usually into the tendon)[/FONT]

For this example, its for therapeutic reasons and not diagnostic, its an injection of some sort (examples [FONT=&quot]local anesthetic, corticosteroid) and of the carpel tunnel area (usually into the tendon)[/FONT]

Thanks for your reply CodingKing, but the point is my question was not specifically about this code, actually I want to know about the general rule of cammas in descriptions like this and whether the presence of commas between the phrases and words make it necessary that all those phrases should be involved and included in the procedure performed by the care provider that we are going to code for. I know that the phrase after semicolon in the description of the main code may or may not be included in the procedure that we are going to code for, if my understanding is correct but about commas I am not sure.

Unless there is specific indiction otherwise then yes all must be met. Indicators such as except, or, when performed, with or without, etc

Unless there is specific indiction otherwise then yes all must be met. Indicators such as except, or, when performed, with or without, etc

Thanks, just to double check , in the code below;

11400 Excision, benign lesion including margins, except sking tags (unless listed elsewhere), truck, arms or legs; excised diameter 0.5 cm or less

This means that one of the parts as truck or arms or legs should be involved in the process?

Last edited:
It follows standard English language rules. truck, arms or legs is a comma separated list. If its any of those three body areas that is the correct code.