Wiki Combination POCTs and credit in the data element of MDM

2021woW

New
Best answers
Hello everyone,

In desperate need of help. I’m getting conflicting advice regarding how to count combination point of care tests. Specifically if there is a point of care test, one swab that tests Flu A/B and COVID. Does that count as 1 ordered test because there is only 1 CPT code. Does it count as 2 ordered tests (1 for the Flu A/B result and 1 for the COVID result). or does it count as 3 ordered tests (1 for Flu A, 1 for Flu B and 1 for COVID). Please provide a reference so I can back up my answer, please. I have looked and am not finding a lot about this other than multiple reference saying it would only count as 1 due to 1 CPT code for the test.

Respectfully yours,
Danté

Last edited:
It seems like you are stating you found "multiple references saying it would only count as 1 due to 1 CPT code for the test." Those references are correct. It is stated clearly in the AMA E&M guidelines.
Test: Tests are imaging, laboratory, psychometric, or physiologic data. A clinical laboratory
panel (eg, basic metabolic panel [80047]) is a single test. The differentiation between single or
multiple tests is defined in accordance with the CPT code set. For the purpose of data reviewed
and analyzed, pulse oximetry is not a test.
Unique: A unique test is defined by the CPT code set. When multiple results of the same unique
test (eg, serial blood glucose values) are compared during an E/M service, count it as one unique
test. Tests that have overlapping elements are not unique, even if they are identified with distinct
CPT codes. For example, a CBC with differential would incorporate the set of hemoglobin, CBC
without differential, and platelet count. A unique source is defined as a physician or other
qualified health care professional in a distinct group or different specialty or subspecialty, or a
unique entity. Review of all materials from any unique source counts as one element toward
MDM.