Wiki colonoscopy screening vs surveillance

jvolrab

New
Best answers
I always question myself. I know when its a screening I use g0121 or g0105 but if its a surveillance colonoscopy high risk colon cancer do I use g0105 if its Medicare or are the G codes only for when its specifically says a screening

'Surveillance' is not a term that is useful for coding. A patient who meets the Medicare criteria for high-risk screening (i.e. the patient is not having any symptoms or current issues that would make the procedure diagnostic and is just being followed at intervals based on their history) then this would be properly coded with G0105. It's not absolutely necessary for the provider to state 'screening', however if it's not clear from the documentation whether this 'surveillance' is a high-risk screening or a diagnostic procedure, then you may need to query your provider for clarification.

'Surveillance' is not a term that is useful for coding. A patient who meets the Medicare criteria for high-risk screening (i.e. the patient is not having any symptoms or current issues that would make the procedure diagnostic and is just being followed at intervals based on their history) then this would be properly coded with G0105. It's not absolutely necessary for the provider to state 'screening', however if it's not clear from the documentation whether this 'surveillance' is a high-risk screening or a diagnostic procedure, then you may need to query your provider for clarification.
thank you!