Wiki Coding Wii as a therapy

I'd be curious as to what supports charging a pt to use a video game consel. I have to admit that the use of the Wii or PS3 Move has a great benefit in rehab. But for my own knowledge what supports charging a patinet for the use of a video game? And are insurances paying for this?

I'd be very surprised indeed if any insurance will pay for this "therapy". Obviously it's good exercise, but can it really be part of a Physical Therapy Plan Of Care? IMO.. I think not.

Coding Wii as therapy

I write for a medical magazine and they asked me to write on physical medicine coding new trends, which has been very hard since physical medicine is not my specialty. So, I am doing research in regards the use of Wii as a physical alternative therapy and the coding part.

But no lucky so far

It depends on how the PT/OT is using the Wii. I know of several that are using the system for ADL type issues. If that is the case and the PT/OT is in constant attendance, then can bill 97530. Therapeutic activities to improve functional performance. Its a wonderful way to get the patient moving. Some kids are not interested in therapy and it keeps them coming back for necessary therapies. It's also difficult for some people to "pretend" or think about ADLs when other people are in the room. They get embarrased and won't follow through. If they are using the Wii, it's more than just pretending. They aren't using the games as traditional games. They are using the games as therapy. Go and visit a therapy office that is actually using the system as therapy and check it out for yourself.