Wiki Coding ultrasound of the penis

Urokmitch#

Best answers
Our provider ordered a penile ultrasound to see if the patient had a tear of the corpus cavernosum or penile rupture. The tech said she did not do a Doppler. My question is, is the only appropriate code 76999 for unlisted ultrasound procedure?

76857?

We don't understand why we should use 76857. This cpt is a limited follow up ultrasound (eg, for follicles)....and it's focused on one or more elements for the parent cpt: 76856...which has to do with pelvic abnormalities previously seen on ultrasound. This isn't the reason we did the ultrasound so that's why I didn't choose 76857. The tech didn't scan the pelvis it was strictly the corpus cavernosum....please advise. I did look at the web link that you sent going back to 2011 but those scenarios did not apply ...

As per the American Urological Association, you can use CPT 76856 Ultrasound, pelvic (nonobstetric), real time with image documentation; complete, to evaluate the elements of a complete male pelvic examination include the evaluation and measurement (when applicable) of the urinary bladder, prostate, and seminal vesicles to the extent they are visualized transabdominally, and any pelvic pathology (eg, bladder tumor, enlarged prostate, free pelvic fluid, pelvic abscess)
OR
you can use CPT 76857 Ultrasound, pelvic (nonobstetric), real time with image documentation; limited or follow-up (ie,for follicles), this "limited" CPT code covers a focused examination in the assessment of 1 or more elements listed in the "complete" pelvic ultrasound CPT code 76856.

In our facility, we most commonly use CPT 76857 for ultrasound of penis.