Wiki Coding Signs and Symptoms, possible denials

TNelson1031

Best answers
Hi Everyone,

Please help.. There's an on-going debate on how to code a negative sleep study. I have strongly suggested to code signs and symptoms when there is no definitive diagnosis found by way of a PSG (polysomnography). Some of my physicians are saying they won't be reimbursed by Medicare or private without a DX. Of course, my rebuttal is you can't DX someone with an unfounded DX because you are worried about losing revenue, this can cause harm to the patient. I give quotes from coding rules from the code book but it is still an issue. I work for a membership organization and we have MDs all a cross the country. Some have issue with reimburse and others don't, using the same coding practices. I feel a lot of the issue isn't the signs and symptoms, it's the insurances!

Can anyone provide me with some of your practices for coding negative studies? I'm curious to know what other specialties do, like Cardiac Cath lab or Radiologists?

I would think if a person comes to radiology for a US for Abdominal pain, MD is looking for kidney stones. No stones are found, the DX is abdomen pain, claim is paid no Problem!

Please help!

Thank you