Wiki Coding question for GI

lillusdw

Best answers
I am coding GI charts, starts as a screening V76.51 and then an abnormality is found as in a polyp or diverticulosis, do I still code it as V76.51 then my findings 562.10 or 211.3?

Admitting: V76.51

DX: V76.51, 562.10 or 211.3 (I feel this way is wrong @ everything I have read)

Admitting: V76.51

DX: 562.10 or 211.3 then all other HX codes

Thanks all the help!

This is what I found in the coding clinics:

Whenever a screening exam is performed, the screening code is the first listed code. The fact that the test is a screening exam remains, regardless of the findings or any procedure that is performed as a result of the findings.

Also:
Should a condition be discovered during the screening then the code for the condition may be assigned as an addtional diagnosis. The V code indicates that a screening exam is planned. A procedure code is required to confirm that the screening was performed.

Hope this helps :)

GI DX coding

If the pt is there for a screening colon but something is found during the exam for MCR pt you code the CPT of what the doctor did i.e. 45380 and the 1st listed DX is V76.51 the 2nd listed is the findings 211.3, etc. Be sure to put the PT modifier on the 45380 which tells MCR this was a screening colon turned diagnostic. Same applies for commercial carriers but the 33 modifier is used in place of the PT. Hope this helps dnp686