Wiki Coding prices?

BFAITHFUL

Expert
Best answers
I work for a billing agency and we now have a client that only wants us to do the coding & not the billing aspect of it..... all of our current clients we are doing everything including the billing side of it & so our fees are based on a percentage of what they bring in....

I really don't know what pricing I should give them if we are just to do the coding ..??
Any ideas? (eg. a fee for each op report or based on timing?)

Thanks

You may want to quote them an hourly rate since this is the easiest way to measure the work you will do. It will take more work to track reports, office notes, etc. used to perform your services. If you find your chosen method isn't a good fit for both of you, you could always include the option to re-negotiate after 90 days...

Having worked with multiple vendors providing coding only services I can tell you there is a lot of variety in charge amount and what is charged for. I currently have a vendor that charges us a flat rate per month. Whether they code 1 service or 10,000. This relationship is more beneficial to them due to the amount they charge and the volume of work. Some times they average over $70 per visit. Why we pay that is a whole different issue.

The other vendors I have dealt with charge per claim and some even have different fee schedules based on the type of service and volumes. I would suggest calling around get pricing from the other companies out there to get a better idea. We had one vendor that charged per hour rates and I can tell you the VP here was always questioning those bills because it was hard to quantify what was actually done. Quite a few of them did not get paid at all. Just a word of caution if you want to go that route.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I think Laura's post shows that communication is going to be a factor, especially if you charge hourly, but regardless of what billing method you use.

Work effort varies by record type, use of modifiers, querying physicians, special efforts, data entry, degree of automation, available technology, etc. There are so many factors that can affect pricing and outcome.