Wiki Coding Myocarditis due to AIDS

mackenzie

New
Best answers
I am working through the AAPC Study Guide pg 45. An example is given on coding myocarditis due to AIDS. I need help understanding how this example states 422.0 is the correct secondary diagnosis. After looking in the Tabular list I understand why this is the correct code but have no idea how to arrive at this on my own. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

I tried to do this as if I were looking in a study guide

1) The word "AIDS" was definitively used, and there were no pregnancy complications, so you know you have to use 042 first due to correct coding guidelines (see C.1.a.2.a; also 1.C.1.a and b)

2) The guidelines for 042 direct you to use an additional code for any and all manifestations of AIDS, so you know that you have to code some form of myocarditis

3) I couldn't find anything in the alphabetic listing for myocarditis due to AIDS/HIV, so I might then go to acute myocarditis, unspecified and see that just 2 inches above, my eye is drawn to 422.0 as "acute myocarditis in diseases classified elsewhere"

That is exactly what I did. I went under Myocarditis and looked for acute but I saw nothing stating " in diseases classified elsewhere". In my ICD-9 2014 book above acute i see active, rheumatic but nothing about classified elsewhere. I am on page 189 of Volume 2. Did you take a different path than Myocarditis in the index? I looked under acute then condition then disease but still did not see Myocarditis classified elsewhere. Thank you so much for replying to my post.

We must have very different books; plus, I was referring to the tabular

With no mention in the alphabetic about "in other diseases," all I could do was just go to the tabular and just "brute force" look at all the available codes

I agree that the alphabetic seems incomplete

That's exactly what I was thinking. GREAT! Thank you for the input. I was beginning to think I was crazy. Lol! Have a great day!