Wiki Coding Medical Team Conference

niebligj

New
Best answers
I am trying to find some clarification for CPT code 99367- Medical Team Conference=30 minutes. I'd like to use it cumulative-over a period of four days and not daily. I believe the CPT book is subject to interpretation-it doesn't say you can't use this code cumulatively but it doesn't say you can either. The service being coded is a medical team conference between MD, RN, NP, MA, PA without the patient present. This group meets daily to discuss status of patients in our bowel management program. The group gets an update from the RN who speaks to the patient/family daily and the group reviews an abdominal xray, too. Then the group discuss the case and makes their medical decision as to whether the protocol needs changed or not. The RN contacts the patient/family with the changes and this is repeated for four days. The team spends 8-10 minutes each day which will total 32-40 minutes for the week therefore we felt 99367 was appropriate.
We would bill by using box 19 on the HCFA and send along documentation that supports the billing with the daily times. So do you think this code can be used cumulatively?
If not then do you have another suggestion?
Thanks!
Gretchen

Well, hmm, I've never heard of a CPT that can be used cumulatively over multiple days other than critical care. But if I were in your shoes I would want to contact the insurance carrier that I plan to bill for this and talk to someone about it. Medicare considers 99366 - 99368 to be Status B codes and won't consider them for reimbursement at all. Good luck!
Jenna