Wiki Coding job

upadhyaymini

Contributor
Best answers
I got certified last june.
now am applying for jobs.At every place they are giving questions to report without multiple choice options.

how do you locate the code for cpt n icd without muliple choice options, just by reading the report.
how do we know as per the report , which cpt chapter or icd chapter should we go to look for the code?
any help is greatly appreciated.
i am just a beginner.

Correct, real world coding unlike the exam is not multiple choice. Most coding jobs give their own test notes to code to see if you can code them properly. Its like a puzzle, you need to read the note and determine what procedure was performed. Once you have a general idea of what procedure, you then need to use the index like taught in class and confirm in the tabular.

Data extraction is the name of the game. Sometimes they say what the procedure was in the note sometimes you need to read through the body of the note to get the more details info that may help select the proper code once you get to the general area. Diagnosis should be indicated somewhere the note as well (if there is one) if there isn't a diagnosis code based on the signs and symptoms.

If its an E&M visit you need to determine the level based on the key components (History/Exam/MDM) which will be through the note, usually its organized but sometimes you need to dig through the office note.

is there a way i can get some coding work from home?

Remote coding isn't as easy as it sounds. You have to prove that you have experience, knowledge and self-discipline to do remote coding. Most employers won't even consider anyone without these attributes.

Not to be rude but based on you're initial post, its really the basics a coder must know. I'm not sure you are ready for a remote job (since you need to be self sufficient) and id question if you are ready for real world coding (since you only know how to pick the best of 4 codes vs cold coding). I guess everyone needs to start somewhere. Have you considered signing up for Practicode practicum, where you can practice coding real redacted medical records?

https://www.aapc.com/practicode/

Last edited: