Wiki Coding Hypertension

Best answers
We have some confusion coding hypertension with ASHD. Some people say to code them separate and then there are some that say to use I11.9 because it says ASHD with hypertension. What should we do?

Thank you for any help.

I believe that I11.9 would not be correct coding for documentation of "ASHD with hypertension". The ICD guidelines specific that the causal relationship is presumed for hypertension and heart failure which they define as "conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4-I51.9" - ASHD does not fall into this code range. I11.9 is a code for heart failure, and ASHD is not heart failure, but cardiovascular disease. Although I'm not a clinician, I don't believe that ASHD is normally caused by hypertension.

Coding ASHD with the combo code I11.9 is incorrect

I believe that I11.9 would not be correct coding for documentation of "ASHD with hypertension". The ICD guidelines specific that the causal relationship is presumed for hypertension and heart failure which they define as "conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4-I51.9" - ASHD does not fall into this code range. I11.9 is a code for heart failure, and ASHD is not heart failure, but cardiovascular disease. Although I'm not a clinician, I don't believe that ASHD is normally caused by hypertension.

I agree with this quote above. ASHD is not applicable to Hypertensive heart disease codes. For reasons mentioned above.

I11.0 is the code for hypertensive heart disease with heart failure

I11.9 is the code for hypertensive heart disease without heart failure
There is also an inclusion term stating "Hypertensive heart disease NOS"

The hypertension guidelines also state: For hypertension and conditions not specifically linked by relational terms such as “with,” “associated with” or “due to” in the classification, provider documentation must link the conditions in order to code them as related.

I51.4-I51.9 is under "with" for hypertension as "heart involvement" that is why the assumed relationship is applied. It doesn't mean that they are the only codes that can get you I11.9.

I would code I11.9 IF the provider correlates ASHD to hypertension since ASHD is classified by ICD 10 as an ischemic heart disease condition.

It also says: For hypertension and conditions not specifically linked by relational terms such as “with,” “associated with” or “due to” in the classification, provider documentation must link the conditions in order to code them as related.

This indicates that other heart diseases, when correlated to hypertension, code to I11.9 (0 if the patient has heart failure).