Wiki Coding Help Please for Cysto

Sunny0967

Contributor
Best answers
Below is op note from physician who likes to do his own coding - for the following dictation he is coding cpt 52214 and 52204. I just don't think 52214 should be coded - Possibly just 52224.

Looking for some feedback.

Op Note:

Cystourethroscopy:
Indication Microscopic Hematuria.
Procedure Informed consent was obtained. The patient was prepped and sterile technique was utilized, 10 cc of 1% lidocaine jelly was placed onto the urethra. A 17 french flexible cystoscope was inserted into the patient's urethra, the urethra was without abnormality, the bladder was circumferentially examined. There were no masses, the ureteral orifi were orthotopic and effluxing clear urine, there was minimal trabeculation of the bladder. There were no diverticula, there was an erythematous lesion and the mucosa was biopsied using biopsy forceps and the biopsy site was then fulgurated with the Bugbee electrode. A separate erythematous lesion was fulgurated as well. The specimen was sent to pathology.

I would agree with you on the 52224 since it was a lesion that was fulgerated and the biopsy area was fulgerated as well, so I would code it as 52224 only. Hope that helps!