Wiki Coding for facet injection

lmcmillan

Best answers
I need help in coding for the third level of a facet injection. The dr injected levels T10-T11, T11-T12, and T12-L1. I know the first two codes would be 64490 and 64491 but am unsure of the third level. The CPT introduction states to use 64493 for level T12-L1. But would this be true in this case?
Thanks.

Per Pain Management Coding and Billing Answer Book:

The physician often must inject above and below the nerve to treat the nerve branch. You might be tempted to bill for each injection but the correct method is to bill only for the level of the nerve branch you are treating.

I would establish the above first, then I would definitely use 64493 as the third injection.

64492 is for the third and add'l levels, cervical or thoracic.
64493 is for single level, lumbar or sacral.

Intravenous conscious sedation

Hi,
Just wondering, we've been billing the iv conscious sedation, 99144, along w/our facet joint injections (64493-64495). We've been getting denials......has anyone else have this problem?:confused:

Moderate Sedation is not normally required for facet joint injections, so I would bet that your denials are based in medical necessity issues.

moderate sedation with facets

We bill moderate sedation with facets without issue, other than a couple workers comp carriers that have decided that this is inclusive. I know we get paid for it from the major carriers. Just make sure you have all the "points" documented for it. We have our docs document who the trained observer is, what they are monitoring, how long the procedure lasted, which drugs were given and the amounts in the dictation so that in case it needs to go to review, we have all the right information to uphold the 99144.

Kellie

We have been getting paid for CS with Facet joints as well. It really depends on the carrier. We have Tricare and two BCBS carriers who do not cover it. Medicare does cover it, and we have not had any issues getting WC to pay it in our states. As Nienajadly said above, document who observed, the medication, how much, and how long... it's very important to have this information in the record.

TY hgolfos for the link!
Now I need something else. I'm not that great at coding pain management and need some insight if I'm correct in my thinking on the below Op Report:

Procedure performed:
Lumbar radiofrequency denervation L2-L3, L3-L4,
L4-L5, and L5-S] bilateral, sacroiliac joint
radiofrequency denervation x4 bilateral.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:
The patient was identified as Bob the Builder and was brought to the operating suite. After placing appropriate monitoring devices and intravenous lines, monitored anesthesia care was induced. The patient was placed in prone position on the operating table. Care was taken to make sure all bony prominences had gentle pressure. Care was taken to make sure the brachial plexus had normal pressure. The neck was carefully flexed in all planes. The patient was then prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner in the lumbar field. Under fluorometric guidance, the L1-L2 facet joint was localized and injected with 0.5 cc of 0.5% Marcaine and then heated to 80”C for 90 seconds. This was done at L2-L3, L3-L,4, L4-L5, and L5-Sl first on the right and left and then was done at the sacroiliac joint in four locations first on the right and then on the left.

What would this be coded as effective 01/01/2010?
Here's my guess:
64493 w/ 50= 2 total
64494 w/ 50= 2 total
64495 w/ 50= 2 total

Can anyone help me please?? Thanks SO much!

Yes the facet joints are coded correctly, but you have also got SI nerve destruction as well, and as far as I know there is some indecision as to how to code those. Some sources direct 64640 x the number of nerves and others 64999. Your best bet on that one is to try and find out what your carrier's policy is.