Wiki Coding for AUD in a FQHC setting

sroyal1031

Contributor
Best answers
Good Morning,

Can I please have some clarification? If a provider puts an ICD-10 code for F10.20 in the assessment of their report. However the AUD isn't documented in the report as moderate or severe, can I assume that the ICD-10 that the provider provides is correct? Or does the report also need to state the severity?

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning,

The report will need to state by provider documentation, alcohol "dependence" to report code F1020.

Happy coding!

Good Morning,

The report will need to state by provider documentation, alcohol "dependence" to report code F1020.

Happy coding!
Thank you for your response, so I am seeing that AUD stands for Alcohol Use Disorder and what you are saying that it will also need to say Alcohol Dependence in order to code for F10.20?

Do you have a coding book? I use AMA ICD10. In it provides all the variations of coding classifications for Drug and substance abuse. Drug and Alcohol when dependent must be documented as dependent on any drug or alcohol. I think in your situation, you could look into F10.9 or any statement by a provider that uses, dependent, abuse, use, or any of those terms along with stated specified disorder induced by alcohol or drug in the provider documentation. The important thing is AHA CC advises coders to look for specific documentation by the provider to report the code. If you can access Coding Clinic, go to
Coding Clinic, First Quarter 2010 Page: 20 Effective with discharges: April 1, 2010; it will discuss how to append the 5th digit when needed in coding and specific documentation.

Hope this helps and Happy Coding!

Do you have a coding book? I use AMA ICD10. In it provides all the variations of coding classifications for Drug and substance abuse. Drug and Alcohol when dependent must be documented as dependent on any drug or alcohol. I think in your situation, you could look into F10.9 or any statement by a provider that uses, dependent, abuse, use, or any of those terms along with stated specified disorder induced by alcohol or drug in the provider documentation. The important thing is AHA CC advises coders to look for specific documentation by the provider to report the code. If you can access Coding Clinic, go to
Coding Clinic, First Quarter 2010 Page: 20 Effective with discharges: April 1, 2010; it will discuss how to append the 5th digit when needed in coding and specific documentation.

Hope this helps and Happy Coding!
Hi, I am using the AAPC ICD10 book at home and I believe at work I have the AMA ICD10 book. I was going to assign F10.99 to them because there was no documentation to the severity or any other indications except Alcohol Use Disorder. However when I brought this to my manager she said that this could be coded based on the criteria of alcoholism given in the report and says that what the provider put, F10.20 would be correct. I don't believe as a coder that I am able to use criteria, ex. how much a patient drinks, to apply a code. I believe the documentation for use, abuse, or dependence needs to be documented in order to be coded correctly. Seeing how under Disorder, Alcohol use it doesn't give you a code and wants you to break it down further I am thinking that the provider also needs to document mild, moderate or severe as well. Or in the response above the provider can say Alcohol Dependence in order to code for F10.20. I appreciate your response. I just need to make sure I am thinking this out correctly. I believe you need to be a subscriber to AHA in order to access Coding Clinic and I am not a subscriber to AHA.
Thank you.

I'm surprised that at your FQHC, you don't have access within your software applications to a reference section that will have AHA. The facility subscribes to it hopefully. I cannot attach that CC here.