Wiki Coding for an attempted repair of a slap lesion

kathy a

Guru
Best answers
My physician did a diagnostic arthroscopy of his patients shoulder . Contrary to what the MRI said this patient had a slap lesion. He attemted to do the repair, however due to the inability to get a safe anchor point for her and her labrum tear pattern appeared beyond his ability to repair he ,discontinued this procedure. This patient was also taking on a lot of fluid in her soft tissues.Would you code the diagnostic arthroscopy with a 22 modifier. Or would you code the # 29807-53. He did spend alot of time-which he states in his notes-attempting to repair this. I would appreciate any help on this. Thank-you. Kathy

My physician did a diagnostic arthroscopy of his patients shoulder . Contrary to what the MRI said this patient had a slap lesion. He attemted to do the repair, however due to the inability to get a safe anchor point for her and her labrum tear pattern appeared beyond his ability to repair he ,discontinued this procedure. This patient was also taking on a lot of fluid in her soft tissues.Would you code the diagnostic arthroscopy with a 22 modifier. Or would you code the # 29807-53. He did spend alot of time-which he states in his notes-attempting to repair this. I would appreciate any help on this. Thank-you. Kathy

I would submit 29807-53 for discontinued procedure.