Wiki coding excisions

paula f3

Best answers
I code for an ASC. I have always been under the impression(correct me if I'm wrong) that when coding for the facility it it presumed that the physician coding is correct and that the facility code should match the physician's. I have also been told in the past that IF tissue is submitted for pathology one should code off the path report, which is how I code. For instance, if the excision is wrist mass and the path report states ganglion, I code it as a ganglion (25111), in which I am finding that the dr's office coded as soft tissue mass excision. When I queried the physician he stated that a ganglion is a mass and that he codes his excisions soft tissue excisions not waiting for the path report. Should I change my coding to match the physician's ( something that I am not quite comfortable doing) .
I would appreciate opinions and suggestions.

Thank you
Paula

No way should you change to match. Someone needs to educate your physician on coding. Yes you do wait for the path and yes that particular one would be a ganglion. I have that all the time and the physicians office calls me to see what I coded because I get the path first.:)

Thank you all for your responses, really appreciate it. I will bring this to my administrator so that perhaps we can get together with the physician and come to an understanding on this.
Paula

In anatomy, a ganglion ( /ˈɡæŋɡliən/ gang-glee-ən; plural ganglia) is a biological tissue mass, most commonly a mass of nerve cell bodies.[1] Cells found in a ganglion are called ganglion cells, though this term is also sometimes used to refer specifically to retinal ganglion cells. A ganglion cyst is a small lump most commonly on the hand or foot, not believed to be of nerve cells.

Yes it is a mass but a specific mass with a specific code and a specific dx......:)