Wiki Coding before note and claim filing

CrysLednum

Guru
Best answers
I was involved in a discussion with other coders (i.e., coders in management and not actively coding, although credentialed) at an informal roundtable, where it was said that it is okay to code from the surgery packet, prior to reading/receiving the Operative Note as long as the claim is put on "hold" (not submitted) until the notes are received - and then submitted. I feel that this is against everything I have been taught. I do not code like this in my office, we wait for the Op note, and I think there are too many risks involved when "coding" is done this way.

Has anyone run into working like this?

I suppose there is nothing wrong with getting a "head start" on the coding as long as you wait for the op note to finalize your codes before billing the claim. Seems like extra work though. Why do it twice, ya know?

In my office, we have an EMR that links with the billing software. The physician codes their own claims and I review them before the charges are sent out, so this is similar to the scenario you are presenting. Ideal? no. Workable? yes.

I'd have to agree with Walker on this one. Why do it twice? If you pre-code it, you still will have to go back in and review the codes after you confirm everything in the op note, so why bother? We still work with a hybrid record (small town Maine) and the op note is electronic so it is usually done before we even get the chart put together here, so it usually isn't an issue for our coders. So I agree with you, Crystal, that it does kind of go against everything we are taught as coders.

My two cents:)

Thanks to you both for the feedback! I agree with you both saying it is double the work. I do not see an advantage to doing it this way - let's hope my discussion was hypothetical and not put into play at my office. Thanks again!