Wiki Coding At A Distance

ABridgman

Best answers
OK, I have a question for coders who code for a medical practice that is a long way from home. Specifically, this question is aimed at billing services, like mine.

I currently code for a client who is nearby, but I am moving out of state later this year. The doctor has already said they are going to continue with my service - and we have a contract, anyway (the doctor signed it even knowing I was moving out of state)

MY question is...the most efficient way to handle out-of-state coding.

I am reluctant to ask the doctor's office to fax all the superbills every day, it is pretty work-intesive, I'd think.

What I am thinking is for them to just fax me a daily report of all patients seen (what many practices call a "day sheet")
Then I can code directly from Practice Fusion, each patient...providing, of course, that the doctor has completed the SOAP Note.

This way, the amount of paperwork they need to fax to me is minimized, and if I happen to NEED a specific Superbill on paper - which they keep, I can always get them to fax me just what is needed.

Is this the common procedure for coders who code from a distance?
Does this seem like it would serve my needs on a coding level...while also making this as convenient for my client medical practice as possible?

P.S. Of course, they would still need to fax me any paper EOB's they receive...of course, I am already in the process of trying to minimize the number of these. Obviously, anyone I can sign agreements with to get ERA's instead of EOB's I want to do that...but some payers just don't do ERA's.

Last edited:
If you can read the notes in the system why do you need the superbills. We are not suppose to code from the superbills we code from the note in the chart. If his software has a patient schedule section can you not access this to find the patients that were attended that day and access the note? If you want to be as paperless as possible this might be a solution.

If you can read the notes in the system why do you need the superbills. We are not suppose to code from the superbills we code from the note in the chart. If his software has a patient schedule section can you not access this to find the patients that were attended that day and access the note? If you want to be as paperless as possible this might be a solution.

For more modern-thinking practices, yes, you're right. But the doctor I bill for is very old-school. And he still likes his paper Superbills. But you're right, I don't need them. I code from the notes in Practice Fusion anyway.

The thing is, the billing software I'm using DOES have a Scheduler. But nobody in the office knows how to use it yet, since we just got the software...one girl in the office is real sharp, she'll have no trouble. But there is no way this doc is gonna give up his paper appointment book.

So, my idea is to have them using the scheduler, yes...but let them do their paper superbills, and their paper Day Sheet, as they have always done...and then the Day Sheet will serve two purposes for me.

One, I make sure I get everyone. Two, I will have a backup copy I can then use to note that insurances have all paid.

I am never going to get this doctor completely away from his paper. But I was wondering if anyone else here codes at a distance, and if what I am proposing as a solution would work...meaning, it serves all my needs, and gives the doctor the ability to still use the paper.

Yes, with a more modern-thinking practice...could be virtually paperless, but I am sure I'm not alone in working for an old-school type of doctor.

Basically, I'm looking to strike a balance that works for me...and gives a nod to my doctor who is a bit set in his ways. I'd like to get him all the way there, but it is a bit of a slow process. Can't be that my doctor is the only one who is a bit resistant to new technology.

Last edited: