Wiki Coding as a new career choice

Dee1973

Best answers
I have a diploma in medical assisting and hated the field because I just felt like the office gopher. I knew a little about everything but not "enough" of one specific thing. That's why I want to get into medical coding and billing. I had a short class in coding but I don't have my certification. During the class, I understood the basics of coding. I've been out of the workforce for some time because I tried LPN school in 2007 after being a medical assistant and found that it wasn't for me. Then I had my first child in 2008 and have been a sahm ever since. Teaching myself coding and taking the online class to help with certification won't be a problem...BUT...realistically, the more I get into this coding stuff the more I realize that there is so much to it that it's mind boggling. I should have started this in my 20's. I'm 38 and I'll be 40 by the time I get my certification. I don't have a lot of time to study. I feel overwhelmed by how much info there is to coding. I don't like what I'm hearing about people not finding jobs or taking forever to get hired. I want a job where I can feel like I know what I'm doing but there seems to be so many changes going on in the coding field like this ICD-10 business. For crying out loud I want a career but as soon as a manager sees a time lapse in employment then I'm toast. I guess I'm worried about the "age" factor and starting over. There seems to be so many obstacles into getting into this field.:confused:

The age thing!

Don't feel like your are too old. I'm 57 and retired from a job of 35 years. It's been that long since I had to put together a resume. We are not old were are just getting better!:)

Network is the way to go!

Dee - Don't get discouraged. Coding is a great career choice as far as job security. Healthcare isn't and probably will never, in our lifetime, slow down. There is always change, but that's great for our field of work. Have you tried to network with other coders? If not, then look for a local chapter and go to those meetings. There's nothing like sitting in a room full of coders exchanging ideas, opinions and getting educated all at the same time! There isn't an easier way to find a job either. Networking is the way to go! You being concerned about all there is to learn about coding is quite natural. I went through it too. Let me put it to you this way, no one knows everything about coding. That's why networking is so important. Hang in there Dee...stick with it, get certified and don't look back!:)

Thanks, those are some good tips :) I'll really keep the "networking" in mind. That is something that I should really do. We're moving soon so I'll do that as soon as we get to Pittsburgh, PA :) Thanks again.

I also started out as a medical assistant, but I would see the coder leaving at 5 and I would be at the office till 8 or 9 making call backs. Then I realized that not only did they leave on time, but made more per hour. The coder helps to bring in the bread and butter of the practice. A good coder is worth their weight in gold. Now almost 20 years latter, I have been making great money and have earned respect in the field. I have been a local officer, taught coding at a local college and is a contributing editor for Elsevier. You have made a great choice with coding. Networking is IMPORTANT!

Good Luck
Robin