Wiki Coding Adjacent Tissue Transfer for a single defect which involves two facial areas

hlth4513

Best answers
I am coding repair of a facial defect by adjacent tissue transfer. The defect involves both the lip and cheek area. It is an adjacent tissue transfer of the lip skin laterally and the cheek skin medially to close a 2.5 cm melolabial fold defect.

The doctor wants to code two adjacent tissue transfer codes(14060 and 14040), but I thought we were limited to a single ATT code per defect.

The operative report includes:
" The defect was found to be 2.5 cm at its greatest dimension from the nasal labial fold to the inferior edge of the wound along the melolabial fold. The defect was skin only and did not involve the patient's orbicularis oris muscle. The patient was able to smile and purse her lips normally. The skin was widely undermined around the upper lip. A back cut was made along the right nostril sill through the junction of the columella and upper lip at the nasolabial angle. An additional back cut was made along the cheek alar junction to advance the cheek medially. The lateral edge of the incision through the cheek was also widely undermined the rounded border at the melolabial fold near the modiolus. The rounded border near the modiolus was turned into a 30 degree angle by excising Burow's triangle. The cheek and lip were able to be reapproximated and sutured with deep Monocryl sutures. The skin was closed with 6-0 black nylon suture in a running locking fashion along the melolabial fold. A running subcutaneous Monocryl suture reapproximated the nasal sill to the upper lip and the nasal ala to the cheek and upper lip junction. This was then closed with simple interrupted 6-0 black nylon sutures."

Thanks!

I have posed this question before to the ASPS coders & from what I've been told is you can only code for one ATT code. Here is the exact quote I have gotten from the ASPS coding conference.
"Thank you for your question. The adjacent tissue transfer codes are chosen based on the sq cm size of the primary and secondary defects regardless of how many flaps are required to close the defect. If bilateral flaps are needed to close a single defect, then add up the secondary defects both flaps create and add it to the single primary defect size to choose the correct primary code and applicable add-on code(s)."

Hope this helps you!