Wiki Coder Productivity - multiple job duties

Best answers
Anyone have coders with multiple job duties, that do more than just code charts? I'm looking for productivity standards for the coders in my department. Some coders are coding specialty operative notes and office e/m notes that have in office procedures done on the same day. They also work insurance denials for their own specialty and work "scrubber" coding edits each morning that come across from the previous days charges before the claim goes out. Typically it takes them around an hour to work their "coding srubs" and they typically work around 1 1/2 days on denials. Not sure if anyone has this situation out there. I'm having a hard time coming up with what's expected of them in terms of productivity. Thanks for any input.:rolleyes:

Productivity

May I suggest getting an average on each type of procedures or E/M coded in a given day, then subtract the percentage of the work day that is spent on the other duties you described (scrubbing, denials). Say you determine 100 E/M's should be your productivity number in an 8 hour day, and 30% of the day is spent on other duties, with 70% of the day spent entirely on coding, your productivity would then be 70 charts per day.

I have done this in past positions and it worked well.

Good luck in your process.

I used to do just code charts and our productivity had to be 30-35 charts an hour! AND there were some coders (like lucky me) still working with paper charts so that number was definately a little hard to accomplish! If we did other things we had to write it down on our production sheet and it would then get deducted from the day. But, I like Ms.Morningstar's suggestion alot better!!....Bye the way anyone need a coder??? lol